Canton R-V Board of Education
July 2018 Monthly Meeting
The Canton R-V School District Board of Education met on July 9, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. for a work session. During this meeting, Bruce Johnson, a representative of L.J Hart & Company, presented information regarding the District’s current debt obligations. Mr. Johnson spoke to the Board about the upcoming retirement of the general obligation bonds from the 2009 ballot initiative and the potential for the District to move forward with another “no tax increase” bond issue in April of 2019. An April 2019 ballot issue would allow the District to extend the current tax levy of $0.55 that has been maintained in the debt service fund since 1993 and is used for capital improvement, renovations, and repairs.
After adjournment from the work session, the Board moved into the regular monthly business meeting. During the regular meeting, the Board recognized four students who qualified for Future Business Leaders of America National Leadership Conference in Baltimore, MD. Mr. Uhlmeyer also notified the Board that the preliminary results for the American Government End-of-Course exam indicated that 89.5% of the students scored proficient or advanced.
Beth Weaver presented information to the Board regarding Parents As Teachers. Ms. Weaver reported that the Parents As Teachers program completed 308 home visits and 128 screenings with families during the 2017-2018 school year. Ms. Weaver will continue to serve as a Missouri PAT Consultant for DESE and will be featured in a statewide PAT training video.
Mr. Uhlmeyer informed the Board that the District had purchased a time clock management system to be used for classified employees, coaches, and substitute teachers.
In old business, the Board passed a motion to release a Request for Proposal (RFP) for a construction management firm for roof, masonry, water distribution, boiler, and other repair and/or replacement projects that may be included in a bond issue in April of 2019.
In new business, the Board took action on the following items:
- To release a RFP to obtain sealed bids for a new 72 passenger bus.
- To increase the breakfast and lunch prices for the 2018-2019 school year. K-12 breakfast will be $1.40, adult breakfast will be $1.70, K-6 lunch will be $1.90, 7-12 lunch will be $2.20, and adult lunch will be $2.85.
- To change the regular meeting time to 6:00 p.m. beginning in August.
- To adopt the DESE model of evaluation for District administrators.
- To set the tax levy hearing for August 13, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the Media Center Conference Room.
- To renew that District’s annual membership with the Missouri Association of Rural Educators.
- To readopt the District’s Code of Ethics policy.
- To adopt the Professional Development Committee goals and objectives.
- To adopt the faculty, student, athletic, activities, coaches, Daycare, Adventure Club, and volunteer handbooks.
In executive session, the Board was informed of a resignation of a paraprofessional and hired Jenna Harsell as a SLP.